Welcome to the OPERAS Bookshelf
Current OPERAS Publications:
OPERAS Vision Statement: “The case for an inclusive scholarly communication infrastructure for social sciences and humanities” by Maciej Maryl, Marta Błaszczyńska, Agnieszka Szulińska, Paweł Rams
The article codifies the vision that OPERAS wishes to pursue in its operations. It presents a vision for a scholarly communication research infrastructure for social sciences and humanities (SSH). The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the pressing need to access research outputs without the traditional economic and temporal barriers. This article explores the current scholarly communication landscape, assessing the reasons for the slower uptake of open access in SSH research. The authors discuss such frontiers as commercial interests, sources of academic prestige and discipline-specific genres.
This article defines and discusses the key areas in which a research infrastructure can play a vital role in making open scholarly communication a reality in SSH. The authors conclude that a scholarly-driven, inclusive, dedicated infrastructure for the European Research Area is needed in order to advance open science in SSH and to address the issues tackled by SSH researchers at a structural and systemic level.
Maryl M, Błaszczyńska M, Szulińska A and Rams P. The case for an inclusive scholarly communication infrastructure for social sciences and humanities [version 1; peer review: 2 approved]. F1000Research 2020, 9:1265 (https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.26545.1).
“Academic Libraries and Open Access Books in Europe. A Landscape Study” by Morka, Agata, Gatti, Rupert
The last fifteen years have witnessed the emergence of a new role for academic libraries. Besides fulfilling their fundamental task of providing access to knowledge, besides being called everything from temples of knowledge to disturbing heterotopias, libraries have become one of the crucial stakeholders in the open access book publishing space. They act as funders for OA book fees, they support collaborative funding schemes, and sometimes they assume the role of publishers themselves. In an attempt to create a sustainable publishing environment, in which OA books could blossom, it is therefore necessary to gain a sound understanding of how academic libraries work, how they deal
with open access initiatives, and what challenges they encounter. These questions remain at the very core of this report.
The landscape painted in this report is by no means exhaustive; there are many more countries in the European community, other than the fourteen we have looked at, that need further investigating. The sample that we have taken under closer inspection proved to be a lively and diverse organism that escapes any easy overarching classifications. In order to better understand the role of academic and research libraries in Europe regarding open access books, we have looked at several crucial aspects that would help us both identify common threads and pinpoint regional particularities.
Morka A, Gatti R. (2021, January 31). Academic Libraries and Open Access Books in Europe. A Landscape Study. Zenodo (http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4483773).
OPERAS publications at Zenodo:
- OPERAS Consortium. (July, 2018). OPERAS Design Study. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1324055
- Delfim Leão, Marina Angelaki, Andrea Bertino, Suzanne Dumouchel, Frédéric Vidal. (July, 2018). OPERAS Multilingualism White Paper. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1324026
- Lara Speicher, Lorenzo Armando, Margo Bargheer, Martin Paul Eve, Sven Fund, Delfim Leão, Max Mosterd, Frances Pinter, Irakleitos Souyioultzoglou. (July, 2018). OPERAS Open Access Business Models White Paper. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1323708
- Heinemann Elisabeth. (April, 2017). OPERAS - Communication and dissemination guide. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1299168
- Heinemann Elisabeth. (June, 2018). OPERAS - Public website and communication toolbox. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1299170
- OPERAS Consortium. (October, 2017). Landscape Study on Open Access publishing - Annex to OPERAS Design Study. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1299151
- OPERAS Consortium. (February, 2018). Usage surveys on Open Access - Nov-Dec 2018 - Annex to OPERAS Design Study. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1299078
- OPERAS Consortium. (October, 2017). Technical Mapping of OPERAS Consortium - Annex to OPERAS Design Study. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1247926
- Mounier, Pierre. (February, 2018). OPERAS. open access in the european research area through scholarly communication. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1183234
- OPERAS Consortium. (October, 2017). Usage surveys on Open Access - May-June 2017 - Annex to OPERAS Design Study. Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1009558